A treadmill is a very popular piece of workout equipment and one that can really benefit your home gym. The key is finding a treadmill that fits your needs and your budget. There are several things to explore and once you have this information, you are sure to find the treadmill that is going to aid you into enhancing your fitness.
Most Important Features
When you are looking at available treadmills, there are a few key features you want to look at. Keep these in mind as you explore the treadmills on the market:
- Weight capacity and belt size: You have to make sure that the treadmill is capable of handling your weight. Typically, belts are more study and able to handle higher weights when they are wider and longer.
- Ability to program: Doing the same workout repeatedly quickly gets boring. You want a treadmill that allows you to take advantage of a number of settings and options. This ensures that you get a great workout without getting bored.
- Belt speed and motor powder: If you want to get in long running workouts on your treadmill, you want one with a high belt speed and a motor with plenty of power.
- Entertainment options: Some treadmills have features like televisions. This allows you to do everything from read a book to watch television as you burn calories.
The Different Types of Treadmills
If you want at least a minimum workout, a motorized treadmill is typically the best option. Once you set the speed of the belt, you have to keep up with it. These treadmills also tend to have programming options, allowing you to customize your workout and keep it fresh and fun.
Manual treadmills are typically the least expensive and you are in full control of how fast it goes. There is no motor, so the treadmill only goes as fast as you are able to run or walk. It is the most basic of treadmill. This type has the lowest cost and usually no features, but you can still get a good workout.
If your space is limited, there are folding treadmills that you can fold up and put into a corner or under a bed when you are not using it. These can come in both manual and motorized options.
Home gym treadmills generally accommodate weight limits of 275 to 350 pounds. If someone weighs more or is really tall, finding a treadmill with a wider and a longer belt. If you want a treadmill that will not put as much impact on your joints, look for one that has an adjustable or cushioned belt.
Getting the Right Workout
The whole point of putting a treadmill in your home gym is to get a superior workout. There are four things to look for:
- Pre-programmed workouts: These are workouts that are already in the treadmill when you purchase it. This makes it easy to quickly get started with the workout that is best for you.
- Interactive workouts: There are treadmills that come with the ability to support iFit, a type of web application. This means that you can connect your machine to the Internet so that you can interact with other application users and get personalized workouts.
- Programmable workouts: Being able to create customized workouts for yourself is important and it allows you to find workouts that challenge you.
- Upper body workout: Using ski-pole handles on your treadmill allow for a total body workout when you are on your treadmill.
Finding the perfect treadmill allows you to take your home gym to the next level. If you are new to fitness, give your doctor a call before starting. This ensures that you are safe and your doctor can also give you tips as to how to get the most out of your efforts.